Step-By-Step Guide for Sewing your Own Fabric Mask:
We are using our “Melon Head” Fabric. This mask and others are available for purchase on our website (100% of Proceeds go to COVID-19 Charities!)
THE SUPPLIES YOU'LL NEED:
- cotton fabric (If you don’t have fabric, re-purpose what you do have like old sheets, old t-shirts etc…)
- measuring tape or ruler
- sewing machine
- wire (18 - 20 gage is good. This can even be a straightened paper clip)
- 4 fabric ties: 18” long OR
- 2 elastic strips 7” each ( elastic is hard to come by as it is being used for much needed medical masks)
STEP 1: Cut a rectangle out of the fabric of your choice.
- adult: 16” long x 8.5” wide
- kids: 14” long x 6.5” wide
STEP 2: Fold the fabric in half and pin it with a 2” opening.
STEP 3: Move the opening to the center and sew along the top, creating a small casing to slide the metal nose piece into.
STEP 4: Insert your metal wire into the casing and position it into the center. Tack it into place by sewing each side of the casing shut.
STEP 5: Sew your fabric ties.
STEP 6: Pin the ties to the corners of the mask laying flat and tuck the straps into the center. Sew the sides of the mask closed.
STEP 7: Pull the ties out of the 2” opening and turn the entire mask, right side out.
STEP 8: Fold even pleats and pin down in place. Final length for adult should measure about 3.75”
STEP 9: Sew the pleats down on each side, removing the pins as you go.
STEP 10: Now, trim any threads and inspect your creation!
FITTING NOTES: When you try on your mask, please do the following for maximum effectiveness:
- Bend the metal piece above your nose, so it fits nice and firm with no gaps.
- The folds on the outside of the mask should be going downward ( so not to catch any droplets.
- The inside folds will be going upward, and there is a hole if you would like to insert any additional filter.
WEARING NOTES: Before and after you wear your mask, wash and dry it. If you are the ironing type, you can do that as well!
BONUS STEP: Give yourself a pat on the back for your amazing accomplishment and for helping to keep yourself, your family, and everyone else safer!
Remember… Stay home if you can! And if you have to venture out… wear a mask, wash your hands, keep your distance and stay safe!